Event Category: Culture
Vigo Tour: Great Galician Tapas Tour
This tour is for all the foodies and wine lovers out there! We’ll start off with a market visit before going on a tapas crawl through the city, hitting up the best taverns, bars, and vinotecas in Vigo’s Old Port area. After strolling through the city’s cobblestoned streets like a local, we’ll end the afternoon with even more tapas, and some of that famous Galician wine.
We’ll begin our Vigo food tour with a walk through the city streets to the local market, recently re-built into a modern new-age urban city market. There are stalls with literally everything you could imagine, from fresh produce to meats, and of course all the fish and seafood that is brought in every morning from the local fishermen.
After a quick stop at the market, our first stop will be a quaint bar near the Cathedral of Santa Maria de Vigo, where we’ll try Ribeiro white wine served in typical tazas (ceramic bowls used for drinking). We’ll pair that with an empanada Gallega (Galician pie), Spanish tortillas, and so much more!
Then we’re off to a vinoteca (tavern) that specialises in Galician wines. We’ll try a young, red wine that’s made of the Mencia grape, and goes well with cured Spanish meats like jamón and chorizo, as well as try some local cheeses like Tetilla and San Simon.
Walking further through the old, cobblestoned streets of the port area of the city, we’ll make our way to our very last stop. Here we’ll try something this area is famous for: seafood! The catch of the day is usually mussels or some type of shellfish, but it all depends on what’s available that day. We’ll accompany that with the famed Albariño white wine from the D.O. Rias Baixas.
It’s here that our tour will conclude, but be warned, the food and wine coma may linger for hours!
Vigo Tour: Great Galician Tapas Tour includes:
- Get your seafood on! Learn about the types of fish and seafood caught in the Bay of Vigo
- Taste the best Galician wines and dishes in Spain’s most important fishing port
- Wander the streets like a local – in between tapas stops your guide will tell you what it’s like to live in this port city
- Sample a selection of different tapas, like cured Spanish hams, cheeses, Spanish tortillas, empanada pie, and mussels
- Learn about the different wines of Galicia, such as Albariño, Godello, and Mencia.
- Inclusions are 4 tapas and 4 drinks, local taxes, as well as you will get your guide.
Meeting point for the Vigo Tour: Great Galician Tapas Tour is Canovas de Castillo, 22, Vigo, at the Statue La Bañista.
- Language/s for this tour is/are English
- 4 hours (approx.)
- Vigo Tour: Great Galician Tapas Tour runs Mondays to Saturdays from 11:00
- 80.00 EUR
- Please remember to bring your confirmation email (print or smart phone).